Saturday, April 11, 2009

Looking up!

GREAT NEWS! Our real estate market in Ottumwa is starting to pick back up. A typical recession lasts for about 14-16 months and we are in month number 15 right now, but if you listen to all of the news outlets, you would think that we are in the middle of the second great depression. Yes, all of us have decided to cut back in one area or another in our life but we are far from the great depression. Has our local economy suffered? The short answer is yes. However, since this is my blog, we are going to focus on the positives. Everyone heard that John Deere layed off 43 workers in the past month. Why did we focus on that, instead of the 700+ workers that did not get laid off. Also, when was the last time you heard that John Deere had hired new engineers. Well, you won't, but because I am a real estate agent, I can tell you that new engineers are coming to town all the time. How do I know this, it is because I am showing them homes to buy. That's right, I said buy! Why are we such a negative society? I think I know the answer. I think, that when we focus on the struggles that others around us are having, it makes us feel better about ourselves. So I leave you with this challenge. Instead of focusing on the negatives around us, look at the opposites that the news offers. When they tell you about the 3,000 jobs that Home Depot lost, think about the 125,000 that are still working there, and then check out the classified section of your local paper and ask yourself this question. Are there really no jobs, or are we just unwilling to work?

No comments:

Post a Comment